Resume & Curriculum Vitae
Ruben Malayan is an an award-winning art director and visual artist. His career in graphic design spans over twenty five years — crossing over into the fields of visual identity design, typography and calligraphy. For over a decade Ruben has been working on research about the art of specialized scripts, and has developed a portfolio of unique Armenian calligraphy.
Ruben Malayan is notable for his work in social activism, as a founder of the 'Armenian Genocide in Contemporary Graphic & Art Posters' project, his protest art contributions to the 2018 Armenian Velvet Revolution and Second Artsakh War.
Over the years he has taught academic drawing, graphic design and calligraphy in the United States, Canada, Italy, Russia, Poland, Romania, and Armenia. Ruben's work has been published in a number of books and magazines worldwide. In 2019 he was appointed to the board of the State Academy of Fine Arts in Yerevan, Armenia and is currently an adjunct lecturer at American University of Armenia.
Download in PDF
2018-present: American University of Armenia - Adjunct Lecturer / English & Communications (CHSS) / Visual Communications
2016-present: Terlemezyan State College of Fine Arts - Lecturer / Drawing
2015-2017: Lecturer on Motion Design, Typography and Post Production at TUMO Center for Creative Technologies (Yerevan, Armenia).
2013: Teaching a course on 'Creative Advertising' at Russian-Armenian State University, Department of Advertising and PR, Yerevan, Armenia.
2012: Development of study curriculum (design, animation, film studies) for TUMO Center for Creative Technologies, Yerevan, Armenia.
Currently Taught Courses (Syllabus & lesson plan available upon request)
2016-current: Academic Drawing ( College / University level )
2018-current: American University of Armenia - Visual Communications ( 15 weeks )
2021: Online - Mythology & Visual Arts ( University level / 15 weeks )
• Over fifteen years of work experience as an art director and visual effects supervisor, including feature film production.
• Over twenty years of experience in graphic and communication design.
• International multi-cultural work experience - Canada, Israel, Netherlands, India, and Armenia.
Professional design experience:
2014-current: Freelance art and creative direction.
2013-2014: Maeutica Brands & Business – Creative Director.
2012: TUMO Center for Creative Technologies (Yerevan, Armenia) – Head of content development.
2011: Makuta VFX (Hyderabad, India) - CG Supervisor for “Eega” by SS Rajamouli.
2010: Triada Studio (Yerevan, Armenia) - Creative Director.
2008-2009: Snowball | VFX (Tel Aviv, Toronto, NYC) – Creative Director.
2006-2007 : JCS PP (Tel Aviv, Israel)- Senior Art director / Lead VFX Supervisor.
2004-2006: Gravity Group PP (Tel Aviv, Israel) - Art director / VFX Supervisor.
2002-2004: Geller Nessis / Arc Interactive (Tel Aviv, Israel) - Interactive & Webdesign.
2000-2002: Malvin BV (Amsterdam, Netherlands) - Art Director.
1994-1998: Compugraphic Multimedia Solutions (Tel Aviv, Israel) - Art Director ('96-'98), Graphic Designer ('94-'96).
• Animation: 3DSMAX, FumeFX, Maya (some).
• Design: Adobe CC – Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign, Muse.
• Post-production: AfterEffects, Premiere, Audition.
Languages: Native – Armenian, Fluent - English, Russian, Hebrew.
• 2020 Oesol Hangeul International Typography Poster Exhibition catalogue, South Korea
• 2019 "The Dark Chain of History”, The New York Times International Edition April 24th.
• 2019 “Revival and Evolution” on AutumnSalon (online)
• 2019 ARTE Germany Interview
• 2019 “Armenia’s Velvet Revolution: Ruben Malayan’s Posters of Protest and Hope” TruthDig
• 2018 “Writing Is Memory” Smithsonian, Washington DC
• 2018 “Why Writing The Word 'Freedom' Is More Powerful Than Typing” on NPR
• 2018 “Visual Art and the Revolution” on EVN Report
• 2018 KSBDA Winter International Conference Exhibition catalogue, South Korea
• 2015 Cities of Peace - Ellen Frank Illumination Arts Foundation
• 2015 '99' publication on Armenian Genocide by PanArmenian.net
Solo / Group Exhibitions
• 2020 Ulsan Oesol Hangeul Hanmadang International Typography Poster Exhibition, South Korea
• 2020 ‘We Are’ Collective group exhibition of poster art for Second Artsakh War relief
• 2019 The Art of Armenian Calligraphy, ExModern Contemporary Art at Holiday Inn Express
• 2018 KSBDA Winter International Conference Exhibition, South Korea
• 2018 Armenian Revolution Posters - AOKS, Yerevan, Armenia
• 2017 Fabricaffiti Street Art Exhibition, Tbilisi, Georgia
• 2015 ANKAPital at HAYP Gallery, Yerevan, Armenia
• 2015 "Evil: The Matter of Intent”, Hebrew Union College Museum, NYC
• 2014 TypoLyrics exhibition by Granshan International Typography competition
• 2009 Exhibition of Armenian Calligraphy at “5” Gallery, Tel Aviv, Israel
• 2004 Flow Galeria, Canada (online)
Smithsonian Museum, Washington DC
• 2015 Best Digital Entry at Centennial Art Contest of LA City Council
• 1999 UNDP Armenia Internet Project
• 2017 Granshan “Living Letters” global conference on non-latin type – Armenian typefaces
• 2015-2016 ReAnimania 7th International Animation Film and Comics Art Festival of Yerevan
• 2015 Granshan Type Design Competition- Armenian typefaces
• 2011 “One Shot” International Short Film Festival, NPAK, Yerevan
2019 Artist Residency at Creative Armenia/Boghossian Foundation, Brussels, Belgium
• 2020 C.O.S.M.S Festival, Kitchen Records, Yerevan, Armenia
• 2017 Granshan International Conference on Non-Latin Type / Lecture and Calligraphy performance with Timothy Donaldson (UK)
Lectures & Workshops
• 2021 Renderforest digital conference, dedicated to the Fourth Industrial Revolution, Armenia
• 2021 Rambalkoshe Modern Art Museum, Yerevan, Armenia
• 2021 Art of Calligraphy at Time of Revolution & War - Bezalel Academy, Jerusalem (in Hebrew)
• 2021 KASA Swiss Humanitarian Foundation at COAF, Lori, Armenia
• 2019 Armenia Art Fair
• 2018 Hrant Dink Foundation - “Armenian Calligraphy: Past, present and future”, Istanbul, Turkey
• 2018 Dessaran Festival - “Armenian Calligraphy: Past, present and future”, Padova, Venice, Italy
• 2018 Smithsonian Folk Life Festival, Washington DC
• 2017 American University of Armenia – Lecture on Armenian Calligraphy and Script Development
• 2017 Granshan International Conference on Non-Latin Type
• 2017 “I'am here”, Museum of Fashion, Moscow, Russia
• 2016 Yerevan State Art College after P. Terlemezian
• 2015 Fundacja Sztuka Kaligrafii Krakow, Poland & Yerevan, Armenia
• 2015 Festivalul Strada Armeneasca, Bucharest, Romania
• 2015 Rise of Culture International Art'n'Music Festival / Lublin, Poland
• 2015 Hartak Festival, Yerevan
• 2011 AGBU Montreal Chapter
• Art Direction & Graphic Design - www.15levels.com
• Calligraphy & Typography - www.ArmenianCalligraphy.com
email: [email protected]
phone: +374 7772622